lol, that has too be the most fucktarded tutorial ever
So confusing and inconsistent, I swear, I would not understand anything myself
And I swear, I'm not on crack! Just the usual mood-swinging nutjob
///ps. I'm sorry if it's not helpful or anything U_U but I never did tutorials and I took photos wanting to do it, so whatever, right???
-MOLD: you can pour it yourself or buy sillicone/rubber molds; I could make a step-by step on mold making but it's pointless, since I learned it all watching youtube tutorials and I would probably fuck something up explaining
Here, when the glitter shell is made, one should not squeeze, bend or even flex the mold. It has to SIT ON THE PLASTER BED (lol, sillicone is expensive, I always make plaster beds
When you spray any paint or varnish onto sillicone mold, it will dry up nicely most of the times and form a film (one can even use nail polish). But even slight movement to the mold may cause that film TO CRACK and destroy everything (you have to peel off the film and spray again). Otherwise, spraing item FROM THE INSIDE is better than spraying it from the outside on many levels (ie. the paint creates stronger bond with the resin, it gets -as if- incorporated in it, and the chances of it chipping off or staying tacky are very slim)
-PU,EPOXY and - ESPECIALLY - Polyester resins, are toxic and highly irritating for skin(gotta use in well-ventilated area, with protective gloves and respirator). PU resin that I usually use, can be demolded after only 20 minutes, which makes it super-easy to use and convenient(especially for impatient people). Epoxies, on the other hand (clear ones) usually cure in 2-3 days and during that curing, they may dissolve glitter, paint and anything that is embedded in them (elements should be sealed or tested with epoxy-exposure first).
Polyesters are the cheapest but also the most stinky resins, they reek so bad it's impossible to pour them in a regular household, since the fumes spread like crazy and they are highly damaging for the lungs (I hate these)
- While casting a brooch doesn't take that much work altogether, the activities involved in it, require time breaks (like for drying and curing), which can be very frustrating, especially for people who are impulsive, spontaneous, and want to finish a project in one or two days. Unfortunatelly, perfect results can only be achieved with PATIENCE, as all chemicals like to go crazy if they're not treated accordingly (for exapmle, while an acrylic paint is dry to the touch after a couple of minutes, it is really dry after a few hours, but if you sprayed too much, it may still be not cured underneath, and may require 12-24 hrs to REALLY, REALLY dry throughout.
If that time is not provided, and another layer put on, the new layer will 'melt' with the previous one, creating a sticky and bad-looking goo, that will never fully dry U_U)
If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask! Maybe I will help, but I am an idiot myself who learns as she goes, haha